The 267th Sheffield (Dore) Scout Group is within Hallam District of South Yorkshire Scout County. We are based in the village of Dore which is 5 miles south west of Sheffield on the very edge of the Peak District National Park (see map). We are a registered charity (Charity Commission no 524806).
The Group was founded in 1949 as an open group, replacing the 201st Christ Church Dore (sponsored group). We have our own Scout headquarters building on Rushley Road, Dore, Sheffield, S17 3EH. The Group currently has over 150 members divided between 2 Beaver Colonies, 2 Cub Packs, & 2 Scout Troups. Our District Explorer Unit closed in 2016. We have a team of 21 Warranted Leaders who are helped by Section Assistants, Occasional Helpers, and Young Leaders.
The Group plays a major part in the life of the Village. It organises a Festival and Gala in the summer (in conjunction with the local Guiding Groups) and a Bonfire & Firework Display around Guy Fawkes night. It is also involved with the Village Well Dressing ceremony each July and the Remembrance Day Parade in November. In return, the Group receives generous support from the community for which it is extremely grateful.
We are always on the lookout for new leaders and helpers. If you would like to join us do please get in touch. You will receive a warm welcome.
History of the Group's Headquarters
For the first few years the Group operated from several different venues. In 1955 our current site on Rushley Road was acquired from The Duke of Devonshire's estate and a second-hand Nissen Hut was opened as our headquarters. In 1964 this wooden hut was replaced by the present sectional concrete building which was subsequently extended under a Youth Training Scheme (YTS) in 1979. In 2005 the building was completely refurbished, enlarging the main hall and adding a new kitchen and leader's room at a cost of £35,000, thanks in part to a bequest and a very successful "Buy a Brick" appeal that raised more than £14,000 from the local community.